Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Nervous Moments

In my last post, I started a short series in which I respond to the same journal prompts my students will be at the beginning of the school year.  Last time I answered the question "What are you most excited about this year?"  This time I will look at the upcoming school year from a different lens.

What are you most nervous about this year?

I am nervous that I will let my students down.  Like most teachers, I know that I am not perfect and always have more to learn.  My temper will be shorter some days than it should.  There will be a lesson that fails, a student that I can't quite figure out how to help, and a disciplinary decision that I make wrongly.  There will be times in which I react out of anger instead of out of love and care for my students.  I am nervous that I will let my students down by not being the best teacher they could have.  Of course, I will try, but, the fact is that there are times I will fail.  
I am nervous that I will not make enough of a difference in my students' lives.  I know that they will pick up at least some of the academics, but I worry that I will not teach them how to care for other people.  I worry that I won't be a good enough role model for my students.
I am not perfect.  I will fail.  Hopefully I will learn from my mistakes and be a stronger teacher because of them.

What are you nervous about?  Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment