Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Helpful Websites

Many teachers have a collection of their favorite websites that they use in their classroom.  I am no exception to the rule!  I admit, I love examining websites that other teachers have successfully used in their classrooms. They have helped me come up with some great ideas!  So, here is a list of some of my favorites.  I hope they will be helpful to you as well.

Starfall - This website focuses on phonics and early reading skills and is perfect for the Kindergarten or first grade class.  While students can use it on their own, much of the website is actually very conducive to the interactive whiteboard, which is how I use it most frequently.  It is also a great website to use if you have an extra 5 minutes to spare and need something to fill the time!

Spelling City - This website focuses on spelling and vocabulary skills.  My school has a premium account, so each of my students have a user name and their data is recorded.  While the premium account is great, even the free features are very good.  After you enter your spelling list, students can play games to practice their spelling words.  They can even take a spelling test, although, without a premium account, their results will not be saved.  This is how my students take their spelling tests every week.  I don't have to worry about trying to read their handwriting and figuring out if the letter is supposed to be an o or a u.

Moby Max - This is another website that has both free and paid versions.  I use the free version with my students.  The website has exercises in several different areas.  If students don't do well enough on a section, Moby Max reteaches the information.  In other words, they don't move on unless they have performed at an acceptable level.  This is a great website to use for intervention.

ABCya - This website is great for Kindergarten through fifth grade and has learning games.  My students don't get a chance to use this website too often (as I actually try to minimize computer time in my classroom), but, when they do, they love it!  It has lots of math, language arts, and typing games.

Math Fact Cafe - This website if more for you than your students.  If you need extra math fact practice worksheets or want to create some that cover specific facts for your students, this is a great place to go.  It makes it easy to create custom fact practice sheets.  (It also has worksheets for time and money, which my students really need!)

Easy CBM - This is a website to help you collect and manage progress monitoring data.  Many schools subscribe to their own progress monitoring program, but, if yours (like mine) does not, this is a great free way.  It has been helpful when I have had to work with the public school for student evaluation.

What websites to you use all the time in your classroom?  Let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment