Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2015

The Best Trip of My Life

Well, it's time for another link-up!  This week's topic is "The Best Trip of My Life."  This topic seems especially timely, as I just got back from a vacation to Ontario, Canada.  While the vacation was wonderful, I cannot say it was the best trip of my life.  I have been very fortunate to be able to visit many places in my lifetime.  My parents viewed travel as important and took us different places every year.  They instilled a love of travel in me, so my husband and I take a real vacation every year.  This means that I have been to some incredible places.  I have been to many (but not all, although it is a goal) of the US states, as well as to 8 foreign countries: Canada, Mexico, Germany, Austria, the UK, Jordan, Egypt, and Israel.  That makes picking my favorite trip quite difficult.
As I was talking about this with my husband, he mentioned the trips I talk about the most: Great Britain (all three times I have been), Austria, and Alaska.  Since I have been to Great Britain 3 times already and would love to go back again, I decided I would pick my last tip there.
My first trip to Great Britain was a family vacation while I was in middle school. The second was on a high school choir tour.  The last time I was there I got to take my husband and see him fall in love with some of the same things I had loved for years.  We started off in London.  I love the Tower of London and the New Globe, while my husband could have stared at old manuscripts in the British Library for hours.  After that, we headed to Stratford-upon-Avon, where we did all of the traditional Shakespeare things.  We also got to see a fabulous performance of Antony and Cleopatra by the Royal Shakespeare Company.  We then headed to York, where we visited Yorkminster (of course), the Jorvik Viking Centre (which I love), and got to do a ghost tour.  Finally, we went to Edinburgh after a detour to Hadrian's wall.  My husband fell in love and decided he wants to retire there.  We stayed in a one-bedroom flat right on the royal mile, a block from Edinburgh Castle, which is one of my all-time favorite castles. There is so much history in Edinburgh, which makes it a great place for us to visit.  One of our favorite finds was Craigmillar castle.  It is a little out of the way.  It is largely a ruin.  It was very quiet when we were there.  It is the kind of castle where they give you the run of the place, so you can take your time and dream and imagine.

We also walked out of our flat one day and into the middle of the dress rehearsal for the installation of the new governor of Edinburgh Castle.  They did the entire ceremony, including the pipe and drum corps.  It was amazing!  While I don't have another trip planned to the UK anytime soon (our vacation destinations are planned through 2020), I do hope to visit again!
Check out the link-up to find other bloggers!


6 comments:

  1. Hi again!

    Welcome back to another great week of blogging!

    I have been to England once and I would love to go again! I enjoyed it so much. My daughter is a flight attendant and she travels to Edinburgh often and she has told me that if she could pack up and move to any city in the world, Edinburgh would be it! She is in love with the city and the people there!

    Monica

    www.iheartgrade3.com
    www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/I-Heart-Grade-3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a cheap place to live, so I think retirement dreams to live there will stay dreams. My mom lived in Edinburgh for a year while she was a kid, so my love started with her stories and pictures.

      Delete
  2. My dream is to live in England, or at least rent a place out for 1-3 months. I'm curious to know where your travel plans are until 2020 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been to some really amazing places, so many memories!!! I hope you are able to make your goal of visiting all 50 states, that would be so awesome!!
    Thank you for sharing your trips with us, it was really great to read about so many amazing places! Have a wonderful week!!

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
  4. What special memories! I can only image how awesome it was to wander through Craigmillar castle! I love that kind of history and imagining what it was like back in the day when it was at its peak.

    We lived in England for three years when I was a child and I just love it there - never been to Edinburgh though. I also encouraged my husband to travel there with me a few years ago. I could go back over and over again,

    Margaux
    Learningwithsunflowersmiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You are quite the traveler. What great memories. I would like to travel to the UK for the history "lessons" that I could get while there. Thanks for sharing a bit of your trip with us.
    Kim D. @ Learning, Laughter, and Love

    ReplyDelete