Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2015

My Teaching Quirk

Once again, I am linking up with Miss Monica at I Heart Grade 3.  This week's topic is "My Teaching Quirk."
As my former students and colleagues can tell you, I love to be silly with my students.  I like to laugh in my classroom!  So much of the day is very academic, and, frankly, no matter how hard I try, there are some things that are just not that exciting to learn.  However, my students can settle down and be serious because they know there will be silly times as well.  I dance like a crazy person to Go Noodle videos with my students.  I act out new vocabulary words with very exaggerated movements.  I come up with crazy examples of words for word work or silly math problems when we are tackling something new.  I play dodgeball and six square (my school's version of four square) with them.  At our school's recent sock hop, I had a good chunk of the students dancing to "Footloose" with me.
I enjoy teaching.  Sure, there are tough parts and times when it is important to be serious and really get down to business.  I can't be silly all day long.  All the same, I want school to be an enjoyable place for both my students and myself.  I am a little bit crazy myself, and I bring that into my classroom.  (The fact that I was a camp counselor for four summers probably contributes to my craziness with my kids as well!)

Check out the link-up to find some other fabulous bloggers!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline,

    Isn't GoNoodle the best?!! I come home singing some of the tunes and my husband looks at me like I'm crazy - especially Kitty High Five. I am not a cat lover but I love Kitty High Five!

    Thanks for linking up again! It is wonderful that you are collaborative each week!

    Monica

    www.iheartgrade3.com
    www.teacherspayteachers.com/I-Heart-Grade-3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitty High Five is my student's favorite, too!

      Delete
  2. We sound very similar! I wish our school had a sock hop :-)

    ReplyDelete