Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Educating Parents

One of my biggest joys and challenges in teaching is helping students love to read.  However, while I know that I have a lot of influence and can make a big difference, my students still trust their parents most of all.  As any teacher knows, parental involvement is so important to helping students learn and grow.  I have found that many parents do really want to help their child, but just don't really know what to do or where to start.  So, every year, I send home some suggestions for parents.  (As a note, I require my students to read 20 minutes at home every night.)
Here is a copy of the handout I send home during parent-teacher conferences in the fall.  (My school does not do a traditional open house, or I might pass it out then.)  I send home enough papers home at the very beginning of the year, that I am afraid if I sent it home too soon it would just get lost in all of the other paperwork.  To get it for free, click this link:

What do you do to help educate parents?  Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment